Sunday, October 21, 2012

Time Management

Last post I talked of not going to church for a bit and asking what would you do to spend your time. This is an extreme situation to make you think. So, what did you think of? What would you do to cultivate your relationship with Jesus? Talked to my hubby about this some and his answer was not to stop going to church, but perhaps the church as a whole needs a break from the normal things. His idea would be to still meet but do something different. I thought on this some and think it to be a good idea. Have you noticed some Sunday's your church as a whole is just ho-humming it? Sometimes after tragedies churches can do this, ours has. Just like in your own life, there are ebbs and flows. Same is for the church. So I thought of different things a church could do as a whole. 1) Serve together. Every year our church serve the community soup during the Christmas season. This is a planned thing, but I think it is good for us to work together on something to better our community and perhaps witness to someone about God's love for them. 2) Fellowship together. Once we were totally snowed/iced out. Instead of cancelling, we kept the church open. We had a small turn out of course but we still had a small lesson and then we enjoyed hot chocolate together and just had some fellowship. Maybe your church could use a change up. Small sermon/lesson and then just let people mill around with some snacks. Communicating is an important things. Some people maybe looking for someone to confide in, or maybe someone just needs adult time away from kids, or maybe someone need comforted. This would be a great way for people to have the time to connect and grow. 3) Pray together. We had a wonderful 40 of prayers where each Sunday the member leading this would get up and speak on some verses that were covered in the coming week and give us ideas on what to pray for each day. She had pamphlets made up for us to take home with the verses and ideas too. We've also had prayer days were we had station for people to spend 10 minutes at in prayer. Confession station, pray for others station, pray for our nation station, ect. 

Tonight we had a speaker talk to us about manage time as well. What he talked about went with my last posted and wanted to share some of his thoughts. God doesn't want us to live a life of pressure but one devoted to God. Then everything else will follow (Matthew 6:33). He also pointed out that we need to give to God not only our money but also our time. So then he asked what is 10% of our day. After we sleep there are about 16 hours that. That's nearly 1.5 hours that can be give to God in prayer, Bible reading/studying, serving, ect. This do not need to be done alone. Pair up with a friend and do these together. I have a dear friend suggest to me to pray a prep pray for the day at the beginning, rather than crying out to God when I was already in the middle of a muddle. So I started praying what she prayed for me, Ephesians 1:17-19. This really helped me a lot and so I prayed it for others in my life. I have not done this in a while. Though and I do have a new verse that I focus on, it does not seem to have the same effect. I read out of my children's Bibles in the morning and don't usually get to mine until night. These are something I have done in ebbs and flows of my own life. What do you do with your 1.5 hours to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment