Wednesday, October 17, 2012

To Church or Not to Church?

What if you didn't go to church for one month? What would you do? This is something that I was wondering as I was putting our son to bed tonight. It was random, but I think it stems from some things I have read from the "The Jesus I Never Knew" bookby Philip Yancey. How would you spend your time? Don't get me wrong don't stop getting together. The Bible talks of getting together with other Christian as being important (Hebrews 10:25). I am just wondering when a small part of following Christ became such a focal point. For me I sometimes find myself running around trying to get to church on time. Wed, Sun, Sun night and then anything in between. We are to be taught and to also teach, but Jesus talks of so much more than this. There's feeding those who need it, clothing, and loving your enemies. These things take much time and energy to do and do well. 

It not just church taking up our time either. It seems that we have put ourselves into a box. A very limited box...one with time restriction, culture restrictions, race restrictions, what is safe and not safe restrictions (like me picking up the hitch hiker = not safe). How are we to completely live a life as Jesus' if we are not open to living with others around us? Maybe we need to be interrupted doing the laundry, filing that paper, or going to an event so that we can  help someone else. I mean Jesus would be interrupted many times trying to get somewhere. He never rushed though, he always helped people on the way. Once He was interrupted so much that a little girl had died. A man came to Jesus asking him to heal his daughter. On the way there he was interrupted by a woman who had a hemorrhage. This woman touch Jesus' clothes just to be healed. Jesus stopped everyone to find who had touched him and then proceeded to talk to the woman, during which a servant came and said that the little girl had died. Jesus continued on though and then brought the little girl back to life (Mark 5:21-43). This is one of my favorite accounts of Jesus. 

I had a friend once tell me that everything we do needs to bring glory to God. That the things God does brings glory to Himself. He can take something bad in your life and make it good and bring glory. 

In the end I am trying to live a more flowing life rather than one defined by restrictions I try to put on myself. So far I have done a so-so job of it. But when I do succeed in flowing rather than being upset at the interruption, I have the most incredible sense of peace. I ask again, what would you do with your time if it was not tied up with church, sports, tv, books, ect? How would you bring glory to God? If you find yourself rushing around, maybe you need to cut something out of your life for now. Maybe you need to try not being so set on what you are going to do in a day, but allow God to guide you. Here is a chorus from Newworldson's song "Today". This gets stuck in my head when I try to take the lead or try to grumble that my day is not going the way I want it to.

 MAYBE THIS TIME YOU CAN TAKE THE LEAD, 
AND I WONT TRY TO PULL YOU BY THE SLEEVE.
BECAUSE EVERY TIME I THINK THAT I KNOW BETTER, I LOSE MY WAY, 
SO GOD, WHAT YOU WANNA DO TODAY?


No comments:

Post a Comment