Thursday, October 11, 2012

How do you Hear God?

So I am reading this book, Danzig Passage and there is a part in there where Theo and God have a seemingly audible conversation going on. This made me think to ask, how does God talk to me, do I listen/hear Him? How does He talk with you?

I've heard Him different ways through out my life. Sometimes I hear Him as the "red flags" we all know. You know the ones I am talking about. You are about to do something/go somewhere and all along you sense these "red flags" with every decision you make about his and when it comes crunch time you suddenly feel strongly that this is wrong and so you back out. Why do we wait until the last minute to listen. It's like we as humans are that way. I mean look at kids:

Parent: One....Two.....Two and a half
Child: Staring at parent to see if they will get to three, then decide to listen.

Lots more times in my life I sense that He talks/directs me through people I encounter. Right now I am going through a discipleship study with a wonderful women. They way we were brought together was a God thing. Learning from/with her has brought a huge growth in my spiritual life and I think I am a better mother/wife because of it. I have a bit of a problem with blowing up, having a short fuse, ect. Well I had already taken and anger resolution class which worked for a bit, but there were so many rules and things to remember that I just stopped practicing what I had learned. Because of and event that happened I decided that I should see a counselor. When I went to see him at the appointed time I had planned everything I was going to say, I had it all ready to lay out. He was double booked! Well now I have all this built up and no one to talk to. So I called a dear friend and we visited that night after I got home. She recommended that I get in contact with her aunt who disciples people. Well a few Sunday's pass when I finally caught her after church. She said that it be wonderful to start studying and asked which one I'd like to start on. I said, "Do you have anything on anger?" She laughed and said no but I have some on being still and knowing God. So I said "Yes!" It's been great too.

With that said she loaned me a book titled "Conversations With Jesus" by  Herold Fickett who talks of his own trip in discovering Jesus again after a rough life with drugs and such. He rights of Jesus' parables what they meant to the locals back then and writes his own version of the parable for today so that the point is more poignant. This gave me insight to the fact that Jesus talks to me through His stories even now. Sometimes it just takes a little digging to get the point. I recommend the book to anyone curious about the meanings of some of Jesus' parables and what they mean to you today.

The thing that amazes me is that even when I have a hard time hearing and even sometimes outright ignore Him, He never stops trying to whisper to me. The Creator of the Universe cares enough about me to keep trying. I love that! If He does that for me and I am His child who want to "Be like Daddy" shouldn't I also learn to listen. Not just to my kids but to other people. People in the church and people just standing in the grocery line. Taking time to listen...this is a lesson I will have to work on practicing. If I remember I'll keep you posted!

Well I am going to go back to reading Danzig Passage, have a wonderful night and have an open heart to hear your Lord speak to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment